Saturday, June 18, 2011

Derek's first typing

Not really much new information to report but just wanted to share a few thoughts and once again thank everyone for your prayers.

Well this the first attempt I'm making to run the computer and type.  It's slow going but each day gets a little better.  The thoughts running through my mind since surgery have been many.  We appreciate so much all the encouragements from everyone.  I think my biggest challenge will be just to take one day at a time and not look too far ahead.  When we come face to face with the truth that none of us really know the length of our days, it is not always easy.  I have to say that I have some really hard moments, but also some really great moments.  My first desire and thoughts after the reality of the situation sunk in to me is that I want to be sure to spend every moment God gives me doing just what He wants.  And it's natural for me to think about doing all the best things I can for my family.  I want to be the best Dad I can be.  I want to help others in any way I can.  Yet then I realized this is just more of Derek trying to figure out his own plan.  So I think the task is just to trust in God to lead me each day and help me take one day at a time.  It's been great to have visitors here and in general there is enough going on to keep me busy enough.

From a medical standpoint, they reduced the amount they are draining from my lumbar drain today.  Then hopefully tomorrow sometime they can stop it and then watch me for another day.  They are thinking they'll let me out on Monday sometime if things continue at the current rate.  I won't be moving very fast yet then I'll say.  For the next 3 months, no lifting anything over 10 lbs.  That's hard for the Sauder DNA to absorb.  It will probably be easier to be away from home for radiation where there is less work staring at me.  It will be good to take it easy physically,  hopefully be able to have the kids with us so we can spend time together.

For future treatment, it sounds like there will be an oncologist to monitor for signs of recurrence.  And then radiologist to adminster radiation treatment.  Not sure if we will get any of those meetings set up for next week or it may be a few weeks out when we come back for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment