Monday, October 20, 2014

Follow-up completed

Hello to all,

A couple weeks ago I had my follow-up with my thyroid surgeon and met my endocrinologist that will be prescribing my levothyroxine medicine that I need to be on for life.  They performed an ultrasound which was clear of any thyroid and any cancer.  They expected this, but I was glad to have it confirmed.  They did a blood test which showed the cancer marker was good for no cancer, and they tested my thyroid level which was a little hyperthyroid, so they adjusted my med and said see you back in 6 months. 

I questioned them on my voice, because I've lost an entire octave above middle C.  For those of you that love to sing, you will understand this is a great detriment.  Singing is a great way to praise the Lord, help my kids learn, and to be encouraged.  I'm really missing it.  Please pray for my voice to come back fully.  Even in my talking voice the "sweetness" is missing, because I can't physically pull those tones out of my vocal chords.  It makes me sound more monotone and kind of depressed (like on the telephone my friends think I'm down any time they call).  Also, the volume is lower at what I can speak.  So, this voice thing is my greatest frustration at this point, but I realize I can be grateful for so many other things so I'm opting to patiently wait to see if it will still return to normal.  We will address it at the next appointment if things haven't improved.  I believe there are procedures to partially fix it at least.

On the home front, I'm pleasantly surprised how well the kids and I can do keeping things maintained (with some help from others).  I feel very blessed to be able to live here where we can have some space, a barn, a few animals, a large home to enjoy and share with others, and the openness of the sky compared to being in town.  Driving down Lake Windermere Road this season, it's getting real pretty about now.  I remember Derek after being diagnosed with brain cancer saying how beautiful the leaves were over and over.  I think he just took time more to enjoy God's creation than he had before.  We miss him incredibly, and yet there is so much joy in our lives at the same time.  It definitely mingles together with the mourning, and I'm grateful God's grace gets us through the loneliness and sadness that comes from time to time.  Last week, I had time to watch a talk Derek did a couple years ago, and his advice was very pertinent to what I needed that day.  He said, "Don't be an island. We need each other."  I hope to follow it. May your days be filled with the love of our Father in heaven.  I know Derek said often that he would be willing to answer any questions anyone would have or help in any way he could.  I just want to say the same.  If anyone reading this doesn't know where they will spend eternity or questions the faithfulness of God, please feel free to ask me anything.  I would be glad to share more of what He has done for me. 

Much love,
Leann

4 comments:

  1. Leann:

    So glad to hear your follow-up went well! Praise God! We think of you often and keep you and your kids in our prayers.

    Luann and Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job getting your blog updated. Thankful for the results and the great weekend our families spent together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leann, I'm so thankful to hear about your test results (!) and will be praying for your voice...I would think that would be a little annoying. Thank you for your sweet kindness that shows through your blogging, your desire to share Christ and his love with others. I so enjoy keeping up w/reading it! We continue to pray for you and your sweet kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thankful for the good news.. and continuing to keep you all in my prayers!!! : )

    ReplyDelete