Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Eye Surgery next week

I was at the eye doctor again this morning for followup.  No change in the size of the abrasion from last week.  My eye is less red and the pain is almost nothing.  I wasn't doing the blood serum tears and erythromycin gel in the right order, so we got better instruction on that.

The long term plan is a permanent (but reversible if for some reason I don't like it) stitch in the lower outside corner of my eye.  This will reduce the surface area and thus the evaporation from my eye.  I will still have to wear either goggles or the bubble to protect my eye from drying out at night, but should be able to wear nothing in the daytime.  So next week on Tuesday I go to Proctor hospital and they will put me out lightly to do this procedure.  We talked about other options with the doctor like eyelid weights, lenses, and such but she really seems to think this stitch will work and help me quite a bit.  She said it will be totally unnoticeable to most people, so there is not the social implications like there is with a patch.  She considers other options to be more aggressive and we can do them later if needed.

I was talking today with the doctor and nurse.  I told them that for the record "I wouldn't trade with anyone".  We just all need that reminder from time to time.  She was commenting about how this person had breast cancer, this person has some family issue, etc.  To us, it often looks like everyone else has it easier.  But in reality, everyone has challenges.  We just don't know the full extent of what others are fighting many times.  I'm reminded of Paul's verse in Philippians 4:11, "..for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content"

Other than the eye I have been feeling great lately.  I am eating more, which is a huge pleasure.  I still eat very small quantities by everyone else's standards but was able to eat a whole bratwurst over the weekend.  I think it's been almost a year since I could eat that much.  My feeding tube has been working fine since I got out of the hospital.  I don't entirely understand what was wrong then but it is not leaking now.  It still "pops" when I am hungry in the morning but that just serves to get me up and going.

I was kind of reflecting today, the biggest impediment I have is my challenge with speaking and people being able to hear me clearly.  Because of my facial nerve problems, my words don't come out as clear as most people's.  This is tough for me since my personality is so dynamic.

So big picture, I am really thankful for how well things are going.  I give the credit to your prayers and to God being compassionate to me.

Derek & Leann

5 comments:

  1. Derek and LeAnn

    Thanks for the update - and thanks for the positive attitude and encouragement to all of us to be content! It is always helpful to be reminded of those little gems in the Bible -

    I was talking to a man just today about some very wealthy people who are having major battles in their family, losing farm land, siblings not trusting each other, and many other issues as they age... and we both agreed that money, possessions, status, etc have nothing to do with happiness and fulfillment.

    Your post just reaffirms and reminds me of the WHY - it is God's promise to us that he will take care of our needs if we just trust Him to do so... we will continue to pray daily for your health and your contentment in all things.

    Love Dean and Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad for the update and prayers continue for you night and day. So thankful the harrowing time is passed and its a much better outlook (pun intended) from here. Praying that the procedure goes smoothly tomorrow. That same verse came to me as I wrote letters for the month and I added it at the end. God be near yous at all times. Dale & Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very strong. I'm glad you're still looking at the bright side of things. Your attitude towards those situations are exactly what makes us, your readers, very proud of you. I'll be praying that next week's eye surgery will go extremely well. Don't forget to update us. Thank you for sharing your story. We are all here to support you. Take care always!

    Penny Byrd @ NCEENT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the feeling of undergoing to an eye surgery cause once I have that. Just like you I need the prayer and guidance of other people to make me strong to pass through this procedure. And I am thankful to all the people who help me to have my clear vision back. Before, I almost being blind that’s why I have to undergo to an eye surgery and because of the good assistance of the surgeon that placidway.com recommended to me I surpass the treatment quick, and safe. Anyway, I am hoping for your wellness. Good Luck Dereck and Leann. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited your blog for the first time and just been your fan and get many informative information about the Fight For Sight. I Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post wll done.
    Fight For Sight

    ReplyDelete