Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Temodar

Well, I finally got the temodar today and took the first dose at lunch.  Within a few hours I started feeling a tad sick and threw up by 4:30.  A couple fortunate things.  One, I was working from home this afternoon and that's a better place to be sick.  Second, I had some of my anti-nausea medicine around from when I took radiation so I took one of those and am feeling better.  Tomorrow I'll try the anti-nausea an hour before the chemo and that is supposed to help.

We also went this morning to a chiropractor to evaluate my walking/lower back.  He said my best bet is more of a physical therapy approach that might be able to improve my gait.  So later next week I have a referral for that.

For prayer requests, right now if feels like we have so many needs.  That I not get too sick, that the temodar works and my chewing and swallowing improves, and mostly that I can keep an upbeat attitude.

I was reminded again this week as I sat getting my chemo on Monday that I wouldn't trade places with anyone.  A couple older ladies there who had been fighting cancer for years, telling me some of their life experiences.  Lets just suffice it to say that I'm thankful for the parents God gave me.

Thanks again for all your prayers,
Derek & Leann

4 comments:

  1. was wondering when the Temador would be starting.
    Hope taking the anti-nausea will help. May God provide for you and your family over the Christmas
    season and pray you will be able to enjoy it also.
    Beth Steffen

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful you were able to get started on Temador. Praising God for your continued openness for prayer requests and your upbeat spirit. Praying that God will richly bless you and your family.
    Christy Gress

    ReplyDelete
  3. Derek,
    We're also thankful for your parents. There are so many needs, and I know that your dad, and your mom more behind the scenes, see them all. And, at some level have to deal with them all.

    Thanks also for continuing to "speak" to me each time I see you - sometimes the loudest sermon ever spoken comes from the look on ones face when they are confronting adversity. Also, thanks for your continued blogging - it's so effective in communicating things that probably would never be spoken verbally. I agree with you, by the way, regarding being open about our situations, but frankly it is really tough... we simply (at least most of us) were not raised that way, and writing sometimes eases our "shyness".

    Back to how we look... Christmas day your look spoke volumes to me. Thanks for that - I really appreciate you as my brother, your attitude of fortitude, and your countenance... the real expression of God's grace. May He continue to Hold You Up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful family picture. Thank you for your openness and willingness to share during your journey with cancer. I think it comes down to humility. Strangely enough, we as Christ-followers somehow feel like we need to display perfection--which cripples our walk and dependency on Christ and the Body. Being open does make us fall off our pedestals, but allows us to minister to a true hurting world

    ReplyDelete